For the last few months, cleaning supplies have been as hard to find as toilet paper in your local grocery store. COVID-19, otherwise known as the coronavirus, has been impacting daily life on an incredible level. We now know that the RNA of the virus can live on surfaces for up to 9 days thanks to a study published by The Journal of Hospital Infection, and there is a mad dash to get door handles, countertops, and even Amazon packages disinfected. But one of the least expected carriers of the virus? The phone you may even be reading this article on.
“Because people are always carrying their cell phones even in situations where they would normally wash their hands before doing anything, cell phones do tend to get pretty gross,” said Emily Martin, assistant professor of epidemiology at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. A study found more than 17,000 bacterial gene copies on the phones of high school students, and scientists at the University of Arizona learned cell phones carry 10 times more bacteria than toilet seats.
At Securranty, we value your health, and your safety is one of our concerns. That being said, here are some failproof ways to clean your phone, tablet, or computer screen and protect yourself from the coronavirus.
One of the first things you should consider when cleaning your phone screen is what product is safe for the material. It is a good idea to consult the manufacturer of your phone or case to avoid any accidental damage. Many manufacturers like Apple, Samsung, and Microsoft have provided cleaning guidelines for their products.
The following guidelines from Apple will help you clean any of its products, from iPhone to Apple Watch to MacBook:
Use only a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid abrasive cloths, towels, paper towels, or similar items.
Avoid excessive wiping, which might cause damage.
Unplug all external power sources, devices, and cables.
Keep liquids away from the product, unless otherwise noted for specific products.
Don't get moisture into any openings.
Don't use aerosol sprays, bleaches, or abrasives.
Don't spray cleaners directly onto the item.
Use a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes to gently wipe the hard, nonporous surfaces of your Apple product, such as the display, keyboard, or other exterior surfaces.
The following instructions from Samsung can be used with Galaxy phones, Galaxy tablets, and Galaxy Watch faces. Before starting, the device should be unplugged from any power source, turned off, and taken out of its carrying case.
- A lint-free, soft microfiber cleaning cloth is ideal for cleaning your device. You may also use a camera lens cleaning cloth. These are gentle and will not damage your device.
- Gently wipe the front and back of your device with the microfiber cloth. Do not apply too much pressure.
- You should avoid getting excess moisture onto your device; however, you may dampen the corner of the microfiber cloth with a small amount of distilled water.
- You can also use a disinfectant, such as a hypochlorous acid-based solution (containing 50-80ppm) or an alcohol-based solution (containing more than 70% ethanol or isopropyl alcohol). Do not apply these liquid solutions directly to your device; they should be carefully applied to a microfiber cloth instead.
- Avoid using cans of compressed air, as they may damage the surface of your device.
- Do not use spray bleach on your device.
You can use many common disinfectant products to safely clean most Microsoft Surface devices. Use pre-moistened disinfectant wipes or apply an isopropyl alcohol (IPA) solution that's 70% or less to a soft, lint-free cloth to clean the device. The following are specific cleaners that work the best:
- Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) solution 70% or less
- PDI Sani-Cloth® Plus
- Covidien™ Alcohol Prep pads
- Clorox Healthcare® Bleach Germicidal Wipes
- Total Solutions® Disinfectant Wipes
These general guidelines will help you clean any electronic surface, including your Chromebook.
Securranty offers protection plans for your devices so you can protect your new, used, and refurbished cell phones with unlimited claims for mechanical malfunction, drops, cracks, and liquid spills so you can feel secure with your clean device at any time. For more information, click here.